Information provided on this page is designed to help parents understand the importance of having their children study Japanese and more importantly a foreign language in school. Included below is the Advocacy Brochure for Parents, Involvement & Advocacy Flyer, Power Point presentation on the importance of AP, and links to additional information such as grants, JET program, and additional study materials. Once you have looked through all the information, please provide us with some feedback.
Advocacy Brochure for Parents
The new Advocacy Flyer was designed to advocate the importance of a Japanese language education to parents of school age children. For those who are not familiar with Japan or its language and culture, this flyer provides information on why Japan is so important to the United States and the World. This flyer is also downloadable as a PDF and a hard copy can be requested along with our Advocacy Folder below.
Advocacy Flyer for Parents
Learning Japanese can have both short and long term benefits throught the introduction and acquisition of a new culture. In the short term, your children can look forward to unique activities relating to a new culture such as Japanese, which may be very different from their own.
AP Japanese Language and Culture
- College Board Website
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (US)
- Student Scholarship & Grants (Various Org.)
- Information for Learners
- The JET Programme
- Useful Links for Learners
- Bridging Scholarship
- Career Site for Japanese-English Bilinguals
- Consulate General of Japan Locations
- JNTO Offices
Why Learn Japanese?
- Unlocking Dyslexia in Japanese
- The Bilingual Advantage Health benefits of learning a second language
- Why Learn Japanese 1: This is the first article written by Namiko Abe explaining the needs of Japanese instructors and language education due to the popularity of Nihongo around the world.
- Why Learn Japanese 2: This second article written by Namiko Abe explains more of the cultural aspects of Japan and how it influences foreigners to learn Japanese.
- Ten Reasons to Study Japanese: This article written by Junk Ueno lists her top ten reasons why people should study Japanese.
- Why are you learning Japanese?: This message board has a poll of why its viewers decided to learn Japanese. It also contacts user comments with more detailed information.
- Japanese Language Profile: This page gives a profile breakdown for Japanese describing different aspects of the language. It is useful in teaching yourself about a language.
- Why Learn a Second Language?: If you speak English, why bother learning a second language? After all, English is spoken in most countries now, and it's spreading. You don't need French to order a sandwich in Paris, not anymore.